Choices in approaches event – April 2014
– post event write up
– resources and references
– next steps May 2014 onwards
The Soteria Network Southwest and the Bridge Collective hosted a Choices in Approaches event on Wednesday 9th April 2014- looking at creating a local alternative to conventional mental health services.
The event was a big success attended by 66 people coming together, sharing ideas, concerns and questions and coming up with some first steps together in bringing about more choice in approaches locally. It was great to see so many people. Thank you to all for coming, being in touch, sharing ideas, concerns and questions and for coming up with some first steps together in bringing about more choice in approaches locally. Thank you to all the team of people on the day and behind the scenes for making the day happen.
We heard from: Tamasin in the morning about alternative routes to mental health recovery. Here is a link to Tamasin’s report: Alternative Routes to Mental Health Recovery.
It was great to see so many questions in response to Tamasin’s talk.
We heard from: Mervyn, Nathan, Jerry and Margaret about the Soteria approach and Soteria in Action. It is really heartening the number of people wanting to hear more about this way of being with each other when someone is experiencing acute distress or crisis.
We heard from: each other. We are typing up all the post it notes of ideas and actions, including ideas for future events, ideas of how to carry forward actions, and ideas for ways to keep in touch and plan together. Some dates and information so far are below. Full write up to follow.
Choices in approaches – big picture
Confirming there will be future meet-ups to keep in touch and plan together. Date and venue to be confirmed
Planning for developing a local crisis house
Meet Thursday 22nd May, 4.30 – 6.30pm at the Bridge Collective
Apologies to all who’d like to be at the meeting above but can’t make the date. More information to follow including details of how to bring/send things important to you – to this meeting if you can’t make this one.
Finding out more about the Soteria approach
Looking further at the Soteria approach and developing our ideas for Soteria in the south-west. Date and venue to be confirmed
Here is a link to join the Soteria Network to be kept up to date with Soteria Network events: http://www.soterianetwork.org.uk/join/index.php (free to join).
Finding out about public forums for looking at alternative approaches
The group looking at Transformation Triangle ideas suggested setting up a public meeting once a month in a non-mental health setting in a similar way to the Evolving Minds Group up North. Date and venue to be confirmed.
Here’s a link to information about Evolving Minds.
Finding out more about Open Dialogue
The complete film of Daniel Mackler’s documentary about Open Dialogue is now available on Youtube: OPEN DIALOGUE: an alternative Finnish approach to healing psychosis
Here’s dates of two small informal get-togethers for people wanting to find out more about Open Dialogue with time to talk after.
Evening film showing of the 74 minute Open Dialogue film at the Bridge Collective
6-8.30 pm, Thursday 24th April
Day time film showing
12.45-3.15 pm, Wednesday 14th May
Resources and references
Please find below links to click on to for the resources and references from the April 9th Choices in Approaches event at the Ballroom, Wonford House. In response to the event we’ve received thank yous, word of mouth enquiries, suggestions, offers of time, skills and resources which is really encouraging and much appreciated. Thank you to all.
Please click below for the links below to:
- Flipcharts post-it notes of people’s ideas, concerns, thoughts, questions – typed up.
- Post-it notes photos *
- The books and information references we had on the information table at the 9th April event
- Workshops questions, post it notes and actions
We have some of the books and internet resources printed out and available to look at the Bridge Collective. Please feel free to use the Bridge Collective computers to come and view any of the internet resources. We have an Open Day every Thursday 10am – 4pm, open to all. It is worth ringing ahead to check someone is about to let you know more about the Bridge and as we sometimes have community meetings happening – which are also open to all. Click here for a map of where to find the Bridge Collective.
Choices in approaches next steps – May 2014 onwards
- Meet Thursday 22nd May 2014, 4.30-6.30pm at the Bridge Collective
- Looking at the ideas and suggestions made in the crisis house workshop
Open Dialogue actions:
- Evening film showing with time to talk after – at the Bridge Collective, Thursday 24thApril 2014 (done)
- Daytime film showing at the Bridge Collective with time to talk after , Wednesday 14thMay 2014 (done)
- Find out costing for Open Dialogue UK workshop (done)
- Bringing Open Dialogue next step ideas to the next Choices in Approaches meet up in June – (details below)
Since the 9th April:
- Possible venues ideas for future events have been offered
- We have started collecting ideas for a funding proposal to include funding for community building alternative approaches events
- Please bring – creating a public forum– next step ideas to the next Choices in Approaches meet up in June (details below)
- Soteria Network Southwest meeting Wednesday 28thMay 2014, 5.30 – 7.30 pm at the Bridge Collective. Looking at the ideas expressed at the Soteria Workshop
- If you would like to be on a mailing list to receive information about Nathan’s story – please email Margaret at firstname.lastname@example.org , writing ‘Nathan’s Story‘ in the subject heading.
Choices in Approaches – next meet up
- Looking at joint actions next steps we can make together – the workshop groups: Soteria, Crisis House, Open Dialogue and Transformation Triangle and local organizations – in creating a local alternative to hospitals and medication.
Thursday 19th June 2014, 10am –midday at the Bridge Collective. All welcome